Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Easter Cake

Easter- April 2010

This cake was actually made mid-course, so the order is not really chronological, but oh well.  I had taught myself (from YouTube videos) to make roses before the classes even started.  I think that was a big part of what got me interested in learning more.   

I really enjoy making the fondant flowers.  On this cake, I nearly perfected my technique for roses and carnations.  Six to eight hours would go by, and I wouldn't even think that it had been three.  I eventually had to make myself stop doing it for a couple of days because I realized that the crick in my neck was becoming a muscle spasm.  This cake is a red velvet two tier with cream cheese frosting (I really love cream cheese frosting, in case you hadn't figured that out by now).  



The red border is fondant and the roses and carnations are a fondant/gum paste mixture.  The edges of the flower petals were painted with gum glue (a mix of water and a tiny piece of gum paste dissolved) and then dipped into edible shimmery petal dust.  



The leaves are also a fondant/gum paste mixture.  They are made with a sweet-ass silicone mold.  I have a leaf shaped cutter that is about the same size as the mold.  The mold itself consists of two separate pieces that are textured like the veins of a leaf, that you put the leaf shaped piece of fondant in between and squish.  You then lay them to dry in the shape that you want them.  I used an egg carton to help them maintain their curvy shape.  Once dried, you cannot alter the shape.






  They really come out beautifully.  Eventually I will take pictures of some of my tools in action.





I am often the host of family holiday gatherings, so this cake was just to put the cherry on top of the meal.  I made a ham with a homemade honey mustard glaze and pineapples, scalloped potatoes (Grandma Gina's recipe), a cauliflower bake, and green beans with garlic and onions.  I am really a fan of cooking for everyone. 




The meal came out just right, and it is always wonderful to be with my family; I am lucky enough to have a really good one.  It was awesome.  



And the cake was a big hit, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment