Thursday, August 25, 2011

Volcano Cake

August 2010

My little brother was graduating from college.  His degree is in Geology and my father asked me to make a cake for the graduation party.  He actually gave me a few bucks, too!  I decided that a volcano would be appropriate.  I wanted it to be erupting, too, because obviously that is totally necessary when making a cake shaped like a volcano.  I figured that the whole baking soda and vinegar thing would probably make the cake itself taste kinda funny, so I quickly nixed that thought.  Dry ice was the next best thing, and when you have leftovers it is fun to play with- a bucket of soapy water and dry ice amused me for at least 20 minutes, though I may just be easily amused.  Minimum I could buy was ten pounds, too, so I had plenty left over.  I think I may have enjoyed it more than the children that were at the party.  This photo is pre-dry ice, you can kinda see the glass that I used to hold the dry ice set in the top.



This was my first experience carving a shape out of cake (which is why I kept it simple!).  I baked 6 cakes all together to make this structure.  Two 10" rounds, two 8" rounds, and two 6" rounds.  The cake was alternating red velvet and chocolate with a cream cheese frosting.  The base it is sitting on is actually the tray part of one of those crappy little fold up tray tables covered in foil.



I can't claim credit for thinking up this clever phrase, but I think it is quite cute.



 Volcano in action!!  I was so glad that it worked out!  My little brother loved it.  The water is made of poured sugar dyed with gel food coloring.  I pretty much always use the gel type food coloring.  It won't change the consistency of whatever you are working with like liquid food coloring can.  The foil is crumpled beneath it to make the water look like it has ripples.  I am not really a fan of how the waves came out, but I do like the foam around the hot lava.  I thought I was pretty clever for that one.




 Then we had a party for my Grandma Ruthie's 89th birthday. 



She said she just wanted a simple cake so I made her one with purple roses.  My Grandma Ruthie is a simple kind of lady.  Vanilla cake with vanilla frosting.  It was a very nice party.   


No comments:

Post a Comment